Sally Ride’s reach for the stars

Sally Ride speaking at the Baker Institute in 2005.

Over the past eight years at the Baker Institute, I have had the honor of meeting presidents and presidential candidates. I have heard speeches from foreign dignitaries and high-ranking governmental officials. But nothing was as exciting for me than meeting astronaut Sally Ride. In a nutshell, she was my hero.

I never really considered being an astronaut as a child. I always had my sights set on going into biology and research. But Sally Ride was a role model in space and on Earth. She proved to me as a young child that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I worked hard.

Sally Ride dedicated her post-NASA career to encouraging young girls’ interest in science through her company, Sally Ride Science. Using research that suggests many girls opt out or get talked into thinking they are not good at math and science during middle school, the company focused on this age group for its program, which includes teacher workshops and science festivals. Nothing helps a young person see herself studying math or science more than visiting a college campus, so Sally Ride Science Festivals were hosted on college campuses around the nation for girls in grades five through eight. One such event occurs each fall at Rice University. A female scientist or engineer, often an astronaut, is the keynote speaker, and there are fun activities such as making silly putty or seeing a moon rock in person. In addition, local female scientists and engineers lead small groups of girls in discussions with topics ranging from robotic engineering to veterinarian sciences.

Sally Ride visited the Baker Institute in 2005 to talk about her program and women in science. In 2006, she was the keynote speaker at Rice’s first annual Sally Ride Science Festival. The look on the girls’ faces as they watched her said it all: I can do that, too.

In the end, Sally Ride’s legacy will not only be measured by references in a history book, but also by the girls she inspired in science and will continue to inspire long after her death. Personally, I want to say “thank you.”

Kirstin Matthews, Ph.D., is a fellow in science and technology policy at the Baker Institute. Her research focuses on the intersection between traditional biomedical research and public policy. Matthews’ current projects include the Baker Institute International Stem Cell Policy Program, the Civic Scientist Lecture Series and policy studies in research and development funding, genomics and climate change.